Clarence Brett, Teaneck Leader

(From:  The Record, January 6, 1974)

Former Mayor Clarence W. Brett, the veteran political figure who served Teaneck in many governmental posts and civic leadership roles for more than 35 years, died Wednesday in Scottsdale, Ariz.

Mr. Brett was a member of the Board of Education from 1929 to 1934, serving as president during the last three years of his term. He was a member of the Township Council for 12 years, the mayor from 1946 to 1950.

A member of the Planning Board since 1954, Mr. Brett was chairman when he left for Arizona in 1968. A former member of the Patriotic Observance Advisory Board, he had received the Outstanding Citizen Award of the Teaneck Political Assembly in 1965.

A10-acre recreation area adjacent to the Hackensack River in the northern end of Teaneck was dedicated in his honor in 1971.

Mr. Brett was the president of the board of directors of the

Hackensack YMCA for five years and as one of the founders of the Teaneck Community Chest had served as its president in 1957.

Until his retirement in 1964, Mr. Brett was a sales engineer for Brett and Co. of New York City and Teaneck for 20 years. He was a member of the board of governors of the Town and Gown Society of Fairleigh Dickinson University.

Mr. Brett came here from Massachusetts in 1918 when the town's population was only 3,000 to 4,000. He had graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1913 with a B. S. degree and was a member of its Kappa Sigma fraternity. He was a former vestrynian and warden of the Christ Church here.

Surviving are his wife, Garnet L.; two daughters, Marion C. Fleming of Leverett, Mass. and Virginia Herriman of Arizona; a son, William W. of Teaneck; and five grandchildren. 

Services will be tomorrow at 1 p.m. at the Volk Funeral Home, 789 Teaneck Road, with burial in the Hackensack Cemetery. 

Friends may call at the funeral home today from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m.

 

Back

Another Article about Mayor Clarence Brett

Back to Teaneck Mayors Page

Back to Township History Main Page