Landmark Disappears

From: The Sunday Sun, March 21, 1954

old Sloane cabinThe last wall of the old Sloane cabin on Teaneck road at Bedford Avenue, which formerly house the Teaneck Public Library, is being torn down to make way for a bigger and better filling station.  The cabin was occupied at one time by servants from the Orser home across the way.  A small group of women bought the property from Mohn Sitzman in 1922 for $2,000 which they raised by giving bake sales and benefits.  They later sold it for $15,000 and presented the money to the town for the first official library building, now contained in the heart of the handsome building on the Municipal grounds. (Mahlenbrock Photo)


Back to History of Teaneck Public Library

Back to Township History Main Page