Daniel Rothenberg was born in New York on 9/25/23 to Adelaide and Elliot Rothberg. His mother immigrated to the United States from Romania. Daniel had two brothers and three sisters. The family lived in Teaneck.
Daniel attended and graduated from Teaneck High School (Class of 1940). He was on the High School Football and Wrestling Teams; and was a member of the Kamera Klub, the Yearbook staff and Playcrafters. His ambition in high school was to be an optometrist.
After high school, Daniel completed one year of college. He enlisted in the Army Air Corps on 9/9/42 and served in the 8th Air Force, 355th Fighter Group, 357th Fighter Squadron. Daniel attained the rank of Second Lieutenant.
On 3/8/44 Lieutenant Rothenberg was piloting a fighter plane and was engaged in aeriel combat in the area of Dummer Lake Germany. He was killed in action when his plane collided with a German fighter plane.
Lieutenant Rothenberg’s body was returned to the United States from Neuville, Belgium. This courageous Air Force Fighter Pilot is buried in Long Island National Cemetery in East Farmingdale, NY.
High School Yearbook
- 1930 United States Federal Census for Daniel Rothenberg
- U.S. WWII Jewish Servicemen Card, 1942-1947 for Daniel S. Rothenberg
- U. S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946
- U. S. National Cemetery Interment Control Forms, 1928-1962 for Daniel S. Rothenberg
- U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca. 1775-2006