|General||Library Services||Children/Young Adult||Township||Help the Library||Contact Us||Virtual Village|
Spiritual Comforts Take Root
SOURCE: Taylor, Mildred "History of Teaneck," pp.98-103.
All was not politics in Teaneck during the booming 1920s and laconic thirties. Mane good people came to live in the township, among them Ferde Grofe, composer of "The Grand Canyon Suite" and other fine music. The senior John Gambling of Radio Station WOR lived in Teaneck with his wife and his son John, who now heads the program that keeps the area posted each morning. Jim Bishop, syndicated columnist, built a fine home in Teaneck.
Many impressive homes were built, including the handsome residence of David T. Bofinger, late president of the Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company. The house, with a 310 foot frontage on Queen Anne Road at De Mott Avenue, is standing today, but is obscured by two large residences facing Queen Anne Road. These were built after the house was sold in 1952. The entrance today is on Carroll Place.
Newcomers to Teaneck began to organize during the twenties-a trend that has kept up at a remarkable rate to this very day. Mrs. Bernard Lippman, wife of an industry promoter, decided that the women of the town needed to get together. On May 5, 1925 she invited all those interested to a meeting in her thirty-two room home near Minell Place. (Her given name was Minna.) The purpose was to form Woman's Club "as a medium for sociability, the dissemination of culture, the exercise of philanthropy and participation in civic affairs." A hundred and twelve women joined the club that day. Mrs. Lippman was elected president and the next day took a train to Atlantic City where the day-old club was received into the State Federation Of Women's Clubs, then in session.
Churches were established as a result of meetings in neighborhood homes. The Presbyterian Church of Teaneck began in 1905 when Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Oliver invited a group to meet in their home on Forest Avenue. The church was officially organized with thirty-two charter members on May 24, 1906 in the brown shingle building on Church Street that then housed the Washington Avenue Sunday School. Mr. and Mrs. Phelps had conveyed the land to the Sunday School for $1 in 1890. The building was completed in 1894, Captain Frank S. DeRonde, Marvin S. Coe, and Mr. Phelps each having contributed $ 1 00. The Presbyterians got title to the building when they paid the Sunday School Association $3,000. The little brown church has been replaced by a large colonial style church and education building.
St. Anastasia Roman Catholic Church, largely the gift of Mrs. Anastasia Kelly, was Teaneck's second house of worship. The simple stucco structure at Teaneck Road and Robinson Street was dedicated on August 1, 1908.
Teaneck Public Library
840 Teaneck Road, Teaneck, NJ 07666
Tel.: (201) 837-4171, Fax: (201) 837-0410