Fairleigh Dickinson University

In 1942, a 2 year junior college was founded in Rutherford, New Jersey by Dr. and Mrs. Peter Sammartino and Fairleigh Dickinson College was created.  Fairleign Dickinson Himself donated his Rutherford estate to house the college.  In 1954, a second campus was established in Teaneck, replacing the old Bergen Junior College.

By 1956, the New Jersey State Board of Education took action to change the status of the college and Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU) came into being.  In the 1950s, FDU acquired the 178-acre Vanderbilt-Twombly estate, which is now known as its Florham-Madison Campus.  In 1962, FDU purchased a 30-acre tract of land on the west bank of the Hackensack River, across the river from its Teaneck Campus, and built a 2-year liberal arts school named Edward Williams College, which has become recognized as a model for 2-year colleges.

Located along the east and west banks of the Hackensack River, this 125-acre university campus contains 73 buildings occupied by approximately 11,000 students hailing from all 50 states as well as from 65 foreign countries.  FDU offers nearly 100 career-oriented degree programs from associate to doctoral levels.   

From:  The Teaneck One-Hundred Year Book: Celebrating the Teaneck, New Jersey Centennial 1895-1995.  c1999.

From the backside of  postcard:

Campus Scene: Library, Student Commons, University Hall,  Fairleigh Dickinson University, Teaneck, New Jersey

Dexter Press, Inc. West Nyack, new York

Dist. by D. E. Hillthal, P. O. Box 291, Rutherford, N. J.

From the backside of postcard:

A portion of the Campus of Fairleigh-Dickinson University at Teaneck, N. J.  The new Gymnasium is picture in the background.

Pub. by David E. Repetto, 137 Brookside Ave., Ridgewood, N. J.

Ramapo Color Reproductions, Ridgewood, N. J.  Gilbert 4-3920

From the backside of  postcard:

Library, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Teaneck, New Jersey.
Arts and Sciences - Education - Engineering - Business Administration - Dentistry - Graduate School

Genuine Natural Color made by DEXTER PRESS, Inc. West Nyack, N. Y.

From the backside of  postcard:

Library, Sculpture by William Zorach, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Teaneck, New Jersey

"Above layered banners of our history the high sun of life and learning shows the Hackensack's shore supporting an Indian past, a bountiful Mother Earth, and a worker proud that his child reaches eagerly out to the future offered by Fairleigh Dickinson University."   Loyd Haberly

From the backside of postcard:

Main Reading and Reference area, Library, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Teaneck, New Jersey

DEXTER PRESS, Inc. West Nyack, New York

Dist. by D. E. Hillthal, P. O. Box 291, Rutherford, N. J.

From the backside of  postcard:

Engineering and Science Building, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Teaneck, New Jersey.
Arts and Sciences - Education - Engineering - Business Administration - Dentistry - Graduate School

Genuine Natural Color made by DEXTER PRESS, Inc. West Nyack, N. Y.

From the backside of postcard:

Student Lounge Sun Deck, Student Commons, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Teaneck, New Jersey

DEXTER PRESS, Inc. West Nyack, New York

Dist. by D. E. Hillthal, P. O. Box 291, Rutherford, N. J.

From the backside of  postcard:

Williams Hall, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Teaneck, New Jersey.
Arts and Sciences - Education - Engineering - Business Administration - Dentistry - Graduate School

Genuine Natural Color made by DEXTER PRESS, Inc. West Nyack, N. Y.