All interviews were taped and documented.They are available through the Reference
Department of the Teaneck Public Library. The Library is not responsible for the accuracy
of the statements nor does it necessarily endorse the opinions expressed.

Fannie Borden Schultz

(Interview taped 7/11/1975)

I must have lived in Teaneck 75 years. I came here when I was about 15 and now I'm 90. When I first came we lived on Teaneck Road where an apartment is now. It belonged to Sheriff Orser of New York City. We rented the house for a number of years then my father built a house across the street. The same man, Mr. Curry, built my father's house that built this house.  This was the Teaneck Club. They had dances on Saturday night, wedding parties and  masquerades. When World War I broke out, it was disbanded. Mr., Fibbish who lived where the Burger Master is now bought the clubhouse and made it into four apartments.

We used to got our mail from Englewood. Yes indeed, I remember Mr. Hanks at the railroad station. I used to go to New York once a week on the West Shore. I walked to the station across lots. There were no houses to West Englewood Avenue. The first ones to built there were the Jordans on West Englewood near Queen Anne Read.

My father had 40 cows. The maple tree on the next lot was beside the barn. He had two horses. It was a big place ran down to Genesee Avenue. He delivered milk mostly to the people on the hill in Englewood--the Morrows, Brinkerhoffs and all.

I went to school in Englewood and then to business school in New York--the Lusk School for court reporting. But I was never a court reporter, I worked for Remington the typewriter people and for an insurance company. Jean Randolph, Matte Scotts sister got me in.

Matte Scott bought the Orser Place for the Caddy family when we moved out. The library started in a little old hut where the Gulf Station is now. An old slave lived there at one time. Mrs. Sitzman had a store on Forest Avenue and lived over the store. Maybe she owned the land where the library was.

There were all dirt roads and people drove horses and carriages. We could walk to Englewood and take the trolley to 125th St. We took the train to work.

The Stevenson Family lived on the other side of Route 4. They had three daughters; Agnes who married Campbell and Margaret who married Hawkey and Elizabeth who married Sample. They had one son, Robert. I believe he had 17 children, some of them still here.

We pastured our cows along Longfellow Avenue. We'd take them there for pasture and drive them across the road. We lost the property when my father died.

Mr. Hagerman was the station agent before Hanks at West  Englewood. His father worked at Ellis Island. The oldest son operated the station. They had two girls. I remember going to Niagara Falls with them on a railroad pass. Hagermans lived in a Phelps gatehouse at about Franklin and Teaneck Roads. The gate houses were arched so you could drive through. You could drive from the Hackensack to the Hudson River on Phelps property.

Here is a picture Oscar Peinecke gave me on grade 7-8 at School 2 in 1910. Miss Lucy Marsh was the teacher. In it are my brother Linvest Bordon, Charlie Curry whose father built our house and Clifford Painecke as well an some of the Bohneses and Garrison. The town hall was near the Church Street side of School 2 playground.

We would have house parties. There's be a piano. When nothing else was going on we'd play and sing popular songs. Church services were at night. Supply pastors came out from New York to the Presbyterian Church. After church we'd go to some one's house and have ice cream and cake.

Many families have come and gone. Nice people. Mrs. Phelps lived where Holy Name Hospital is. We had a fair here at the Teaneck Club. Captain DeRonde and people who had money donated toward the building. Mrs. Phelps said she's give some money for flowers. The Phelpses and DeRondes were dear friends. DeRonde was married to Miss Bennett, daughter the Phelps overseer. I went to see Mrs. Phelps, a maid answered the door and Mrs. Phelps handed me $10, enough to buy flowers to decorate for the whole day of the fair. We sold a few pieces at a time.

I remember Captain Phelps. They had a colored boy who carried a saddle bag on his pony. Every day between 5 and 6 he'd go to Englewood to pick up the mail. One day our dog named Rover ran out. He used to bark at the horse. The boy shot him. My father had the vat and he lived. Dogs were allowed to run then.

There were six children in our family. I'm the oldest. Next was a brother who died of summer complaint. Then a sister died at 3 of spinal meningitis then a sister who died at 8 of diphtheria. My brother died of pneumonia and flu at 24 and my sister Florence Middlemas died 8 years age.

The Orser House had two balconies. There was a huge hall, you could drive a carriage in it. There was a big living room with wide sills and wide doors. There were beautiful pine trees. We built an addition for the help. We had three men employed. They had three bedrooms, separate stairs. My mother cooked two sets of meals.

The men ate in the kitchen and we ate in the dining room which faced Teaneck Road. Orser built the house as a summer place. Later he rented it. I never saw him. We heated with stoves. Matte Scott put in a furnace. We never had any trouble with the stoves. now I'd be afraid of fire. Now that we have all the conveniences we seem to have more fires. The fire department was all volunteer. They had a place on Fairview Avenue.

In World War I I worked in card records at Camp Merritt. In World War II I worked at Camp Shanks. My husband worked there too. The soldiers worked upstairs at Camp Merritt and we worked downstairs. We were married in the Episcopal Church in Englewood. He went all through the war. He died three years ago--1972.

My husband Frank used to go to Benny Manne to got his hair out. I was one of the last to have my hair cut. I hated to have it cut. They used to say that the Borden girls were the best dressed girls in the clubhouse. We had an aunt who was a dressmaker in New York. She was a maiden lady and took great pleasure in dressing us. She used to pay for a lot of our clothes.

We bought groceries at Mattlege and Christopher in Englewood. We had a charge account. A man came out and took our order and put it in the buggy.

My father got a car before he died in his 60s. He got it at Flannery's. He failed the first time he took the license test. Then he took it in Englewood and passed. It was a runabout--a small Ford. He put a box on the back to carry the milk. He died over there in our home. We lost him, my aunt and brother close together.

We had constables then. I remember Weiss's father. We had trouble getting good milkers and my father would got them from New York. When they'll got their monthly salary they'd got drunk and sometimes we'd have to call the constable. We had a Polish couple. We used to starch our clothes--the flounces and ruffles would stand out. This woman liked the way the starched clothes looked. so she starched her husband's long underwear! We had some funny experiences with these people who were just off the beat.

Borden's field on Longfellow Avenue was where they played bal. ,I think the Fourth of July celebrations were in West Englewood.

On the sixth anniversary of the founding of the Teaneck Club they sold chances on a round piece of  leather on which everyone had written their names, 10 cents a chance. It had the club seal and the date of the founding--June 24, 1906. The celebration wax Nov. 27, 1912-- six years after the clubhouse was opened.

Here are the signatures:

Elmer Hazelton, Josephine Dowling, George Reynolds, Ethol Habes, Charles Curry, Washington E. Hazelton, J. Lauzen, Lutthans, John Suppes, Hugh Nelson, James Philips Jr., George Korn Jr., Charles A. Wells, F. H. Magee, William Beaumont, Richard Ackerman, Henry Clausen, Roy Wilhelm, Luther Armstrong, Doris Cunningham (married Ackerman), J. A. Caddy, Mrs. Lutthans, J. Philips Agnes Nelson, H. Florence Borden, A. J. Singer, Gorden MIddlemas, H. Armstrong, Kitty Dowling, Margaret Middlemas, Marcelle Forster, Fannie Borden, Mrs. Hazelton, Rona Lauzen (married Dick Ackerman, divorced), Ed. H. Griffith, Mrs. E. J. Wells, Madge Henrich, Lizzie Huhn, C. Leslie Henrich, Ruth F. Middlemas, Charles Lauber, Walter Dunwoodie, Edna L. Force, H. A. Forster, Lita E. Franke, Carrie E. Franke, Clarence Fuerstenberg (piano), Carl Franke, Rose A. Tamangni, Charles R. Curry, William H. LaFetter, Charles M. Schlenker and Loomis.


Back to Oral History of Teaneck