Central Fire House, 1947
Teaneck Road & Fairview
George M. Cady's Central Fire
House follows the Georgian Colonial vocabulary of his earlier buildings in the
Municipal Government Complex, including the cupola and brick detailing.
Teaneck's organized fire protection began in 191 1, when four volunteer
companies divided duties throughout the township. By 1915 they had consolidated
into the Municipal Fire Company under Chief K. V. Ridley. The present four-bay
station is located across the street from the original 1923 headquarters
building, which accommodated 10 paid firemen and a volunteer corps. It is an
elaborate facility even for its time, housing not only pumpers and ladder
company equipment, but extensive living quarters and offices on the second
floor. The domestic shuttered fenestration adds character and scale to an
otherwise monumental facade fronting the busy street.