Oak Tree (former Campbell
Farmhouse Site), 18th C.
Cedar Lane & Palisade
Amidst the hubub Of the present
Cedar Lane commercial district stands a reminder or Teaneck's agricultural past.
Not a building but a living tree, this landmark marks the site of a pre-1837
farmhouse associated with the family of Samuel Campbell. Though the house was
demolished in 1982, the tree has remained since the late 18th century as one of
the most venerable objects in the town.
Originally part Of the Dutch
Banta tract that stretched from the Hackensack River to the Hudson, the Campbell
farm was acquired by the family in 1850, eventually Passing into the hands of
William Walter Phelps in the 1870s when he controlled the central agricultural
Plots on both sides of the Teaneck Ridge. The site was close to the original
Teaneck Station of the West Shore Railroad during the 19th century. Little
development occurred in this part of the borough until the 1920s, and the Oak
Tree is a potent remnant of a rural landscape that many older residents can
still recall. It deserves the same protection as the other artifacts which
contributed to the history and character of the town.