HISTORY OF THE TEANECK, NEW JERSEY
Many of you know that the Teaneck Fire Department is one of the finest in New Jersey. The Department is a fully paid unit, with the only volunteers being members of the Box 54 club and the fire auxiliary. This is part of a series of reports on the development of the Teaneck Fire Department, from founding to present in 1974.
Until the year 1775, there were only three Townships in what is now Bergen County.
The first Township, Hackensack, was formed in 1692. It was composed of land between the Hackensack and Hudson Rivers. In 1709, New Barbadoes Township was created, and it consisted of the lands between the Hackensack and Passaic Rivers. Lastly, Harrington Township was formed in 1775. Harrington was composed of lands from portions of both Hackensack and New Barbadoes Townships.
In 1871, Hackensack Township was reduced in size when Ridgefield, Englewood, and Palisades Townships were organized. Teaneck residents who lived in the northern section then paid their taxes to Englewood, and those in the southern end to Ridgefield.
The residents, being dissatisfied with the lack of public services which were supposed to have been supplied with, voted to form the Township of Teaneck in 1895.
The assets of the Township (land values, etc.) were valued at $377,650. The Township’s physical assets were:
- one hose cart valued at $600
- one hose cart valued at $75
- 500 feet of canvas hose
- 1,000 feet of rubber hose
- two sets of harnesses valued at $240
- six lanterns valued at $9
- one life net valued at $60
- nine nozzles valued at $50