Source: "This is Teaneck, N.J."

Chronology

1618-
First settlement of white men in New Jersey at Bergen (Jersey City) was sent by Dutch East India Company
1645-
Chief Oratam signed peace treaty with the Dutch
1660-
Sarah Kierstad granted tract of land including much of Teaneck, by Oratam
1664-
English captured New Netherlands
1675-
Bergen County Established
1682-
Definite boundaries established for Bergen County (not the same as today)
1683-
First constable chosen; road board set up to lay out roads, bridges and ferries; towns authorized to elect men to levy taxes to defray such costs
1693-
The General Assembly of East Jersey established Hackensack Township, of which Teaneck was a part
1822-
Teaneck's first school organized
1859-
Northern Tailroad built-this was later leased to the Erie
1865-
William Walter Phelps bought his first holding in Teaneck
1869-
School built next to the present Town House
1871-
Legislature of the State of New Jersey created townships of Englewood and Ridgefield from Hackensack Township; Teaneck was part of each
1894-
Phelps died June 15; holdings then administered by Phelps Estate
1895-
Township of Teaneck became independent unit, held first election, William Bennett elected chairman of Township Committee
1896-
First electric lights installed
1906-
Original School #2, now town house, completed
1910-
School #1 (Longfellow) built; partially destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1921
1913-
Township divided into 2 election districts. There were 530 voters, 423 of whom had cast ballots in the last election
1914-
Paid police department inaugurated
1916-
School #3 (Emerson) completed
1920-
First paid fireman
1922-
Phelps Estate opened for development in June
1923-
School #4 (Whittier) completed
1925-
Holy Name Hospital opened it doors; School #5 (Hawthorne) completed
1926-
New Municipal Building completed; School #6 (Bryant) completed
1927-
Teaneck Library Incorporated
1928-
Teaneck Post Office opened
1929-
Senior High School completed
1930-
Referendum to change to Council-Manager government passed Sept. 16; Paul A. Volcker appointed Township Manager
1931-
Route 4 and George Washington Bride Completed; Planning Board started, with Milton Votee appointed Township Manager
1932-
Votee Park begun as a WPA project of swamp drainage of land which had reverted to the Township for non-payment of taxes
1934-
School #7 (Lowell) completed
1936-
Bergen Junior College (now part of Fairleigh-Dickinson University) moved to Teaneck from Hackensack, where it had held classes at the Hackensack Y
1941-
Present School #2 (Washington Irving) Completed
1944-
Recreation Department founded, with Richard Rodda as first Director
1948-
James T. Welsh appointed Township Manager
1951-
Police Building completed; Reference Room and Junior Room wings added to library
1956-
School #8 (Eugene Field) completed
1957-
Benjamin Franklin Junior High School completed
1958-
Thomas Jefferson Junior High School completed
1959-
Werner Schmid appointed Township Manager
1960-
New U.S. Post Office dedicated
1962-
First Seven-man Council elected; new wings added to Municipal Building
1967-
One-Lane Grayson Place bridge replaced with two-lane facility
1968-
Windsor Road Fire House completed

Back to the Virtual Village